I meant to post this some time ago but it got lost in the shuffle and overlooked. I found the following over at The Recovering Legalist around the first of the year and decided that, in addition to my routine prayers, I would pray and think on these things every day, all year.
1. To bring glory to the name of Jesus Christ in all that I do (Psa. 19:14) and go through (1 Pet. 1:7).
2. To “give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine” (1 Tim. 4:13) and “to prayer, and to the ministry of the word” (Acts 6:4).
3. To be known as a humble and consistent husband and father whose household serves the Lord (Josh. 24:15; 1 Cor. 15:58); a forgiven sinner who understands grace (1 Tim. 1:15); and a fearless soldier of the Cross (Mark 8:34) who never compromises the truth (1 Tim. 4:16).
- Psalm 19:14 – “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.”
- 1 Peter 1:7 – “That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honor and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:”
- 1 Timothy 4:13 – “Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.”
- Acts 6:4 – “But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word.”
- Joshua 24:15 – “And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that [were] on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.”
- 1 Corinthians 15:58 – “Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.”
- 1 Timothy 1:15 – “This [is] a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.”
- Mark 8:34 – “And when he had called the people [unto him] with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.”
- 1 Timothy 4:16 – “Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.”