A reprint of a post on atimetoshare.me 9/22/14
I am not a marriage expert, nor could I possibly have all the secrets to a happy marriage, but there is a wonderful book which carries some extremely good advice on how to live together as husband and wife and how to have your life together blessed in countless ways. The book is God’s own words to us, which He breathed into the pens of men many years ago. The Bible, though ancient in its conception, is still pertinent today in all areas of our lives.
Here are ten references to specific elements of a great marriage:
- 1 John 4:7 Refers to placing God at the head of your house. Having Him as your chief advisor makes some of the tough decisions easier and He also promises to bless those who trust in Him.
- 1 Corinthians 11:11 & Genesis 2:24 talks about a total commitment to each other – becoming one flesh. This is difficult to understand in a time when we are taught to live our own lives and do our own thing.
- Hebrews 13:4 proclaims that we should trust one another. Any great relationship has to be built on trust or the foundation will not stand up under the storms of life.
- Ephesians 5:25- We should love each other as we love ourselves. Isn’t it true that we often put ourselves first. When you marry, you have another part to honor – Your better half.
- 2 Corinthians 6:14 Tells us to be joined in faith. When you have a common faith you can move mountains with God’s help.
- Ezekiel 3:14-21 reminds us to honor the vows we said before God – to love, honor and obey until death. This is one contract that should never be entered into lightly.
- Hebrews 13:1-25 is a great section on being encouragers of one another.
- Psalm 85:10 tells us to be hold tightly to our love for each other.
- 1 Corinthians 13:4-6 refers to being respectful of one another.
- John 15:13 talks about the greatest love of all being the willingness to give your life for another. John 3:16 tells us God’s perfect love for us.
God wants us to be happy in all areas of life. When He created man, He saw the need for Adam to have a companion – a helper; so He created woman. He blessed that partnership and continues to lavish us with His love when we remember Him first in our marriages. Thank you, dear Lord, for blessing mine.